Tuesday, 18 August 2015

Is no-poo for you? Conditioner only washing


Last week I did a whole week of using no shampoo when washing my hair. There are hundreds of people currently doing the same thing, it's called the "no-poo" method. 

Shampoo can contain a lot of ingredients which can strip your hair of the natural oils it needs to stay healthy; taking all of this out of your hair can leave it lifeless, brittle and dry - all of the things which I think my hair is! This is mainly down to the ingredient sodium lauryl sulphate which is in almost all shampoos (believe me I checked all of the shampoos in my local supermarket and all had SLS in them!) 

Because it can be so difficult to find a shampoo without this ingredient in a lot of people go cold turkey with no shampoo whatsoever. Some people find this way too scary to comprehend so they use apple cider vinegar or baking soda as a substitute for shampoo instead to ensure you don't get a build up of oils. I tried the no shampoo at all method which I must admit took a lot of strength, if you're going to do this then make sure during the transition period of around a week that you can be prepared to have your hair up for a good week. For around a week your hair may feel and possibly look a little greasy while your hair adapts to no shampoo. 

For me, my hair feels more nourished, it has a lot more body and feels altogether in a better condition. I'm not sure I'm definitely a changed woman in terms of just conditioner washing (co-washing) but I'll definitely be doing this as a hair pick me up for when my hair feels dry and needs more tender loving care. 

Have you heard of co washing or the no-poo theory? Will you be giving it a go? 

cottonandcandie x

2 comments:

  1. This is so interesting! I'm sure i'll give it a try xx
    http://brightdreamerz.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard it called no-poo before lol but I have heard of the concept. I have to wash my hair with shampoo because when I don't it just gets sooo greasy after just 1 day. Maybe I'll try it though... maybe a few days with just conditioner and see what happens ;)

    Jessica | Pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this post!
cottonandcandie x