Monday, 20 April 2015

How to survive deadline season.



Deadline season for uni-goers is either fast approaching or you're right in the middle of the thick of it, waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel. 

Right now I'm working on a 4500 word essay in for Friday, so of course this is the perfect time to ironically write a post on my tips about how to survive deadline season. 

1. Work out when and where you work best.
It took me pretty much the whole of my uni course to work out that I work best at night in my room, when everyone has gone to bed, when all social media has quietened down a bit, no one is still up so my phone isn't going off and it's deemed as unacceptable to be raiding the fridge. Because of this I've learnt to say n to those group study sessions during the day at the library because I know that I just will not get any work done.

2. Get rid of distractions. 
If you sit down to work and know you're hungry or thirsty you'll be setting yourself up for failure. Instead, bring everything you need with you to your study area so you have no excuse to be wandering around the house.
3. You deserve a break.
If you're staying in on a warm sunny day, envious of everyone else that is outside enjoying the sunshine, then do just that. The more you miss out on the more you will come to despise doing your work, meaning that you will not work your best. Set a time to go back and work by or an amount of work until you can go and do the fun thing that you would rather be doing.

4. If you really just aren't in the mood
Get out of the house, or do some form of exercise and come back to it. Exercise is said to be one of the best ways to really get yourself motivated to do work - you will feel productive already as you've burnt off some calories and have got rid of any nervous energy which could bubble up when you're trying to work. 

5. Set goals for each day
And these need to be reasonable. Saying that you want to write all your essay in one go is not reasonable and you will just feel completely overwhelmed when not reaching your target. For me, I worked out the smallest I could write each day and still have time to reread, so when I met that target and more, I felt really proud of what I had achieved and it meant my next goal was a lot smaller.

6. BACK UP YOUR WORK
Yes I just block capital italic and bolded - (bolded?) It takes no time at all to stick a USB pen in and back up your work. If you don't have one, email it to yourself. You  just need something for if your work vanishes, your lecturers are not going to accept this as a reason for an extension and you'll be rewriting your whole assignment again. 

Good luck everyone! Let me know your top tips and how your work is coming along!
cottonandcandie x 

 

1 comment:

  1. Hey :) I nominated you for the Liebster award! Have a looky here:
    https://laurakateblog.wordpress.com/2015/04/22/back-to-reality-leibster-award-2/
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this post!
cottonandcandie x