Wednesday, 4 March 2015

The under 3 pound secret to hair growth





I cannot believe how simple and inexpensive this is. I'm always researching ways to fix my damaged tresses or to help them grow and often they're so so expensive but this time I've found the one!

Coconut oil contains fatty acids which bind to the protein in your hair, protecting your roots from breakage. It also helps to lock in the moisture which is usually lost from environmental impurities and using heat to style your hair. Massaging the coconut oil into your hair will promote the blood circulation to your scalp and boost nutrient and oxygen delivery which encourages hair growth.

This is Superdrug's own brand of coconut oil and is £2.29 - pretty good right? I've tried to find coconut oil in Boots but it's specifically a body moisturiser and I was a bit nervous to buy it so I stuck to Superdrug's.

When you open it, it is completely solid. Scoop out a heaped teaspoonful and maybe another half if you have a lot of hair and put this into a mug. Boil the kettle and pour the boiling water into a bowl. Place the mug of coconut oil into the bowl. Wait until it's completely melted and take the mug out and leave it to cool for a bit - the oil will be hot! This is more effective than putting it straight into the microwave as it melts more naturally. 

Once the oil has cooled down a bit scoop some out and massage into your scalp. This should be done before you wash your hair. Make sure you cover the entirety of your scalp with the oil, there's no need to do the length of your hair. Put a plastic bag or clingfilm over your head when you've finished - something that will keep the heat in. I use a standard carrier bag and then put my towel turban over the top so it looks a bit more normal than walking around with a carrier bag on your head! Leave this on for a minimum of half an hour, I usually leave the oil on for two hours personally but if you don't have the time then half an hour is fine.

Shampoo your hair twice to get the oil out and condition as normal. I wash my hair every other day and make sure I do this before every wash. If you wash your hair every day I would only do this every other. 

And that's it! I've been doing this for about six weeks now and my hair growth has been unreal. I usually bleach my roots every six weeks but they definitely need to be done more regularly now as my hair is growing so much more quickly!

Give this a try and let me know what you think!
cottonandcandie x

7 comments:

  1. I'm desperately waiting for my hair to grow out again at the moment so this post has the best timing. I'll try this!

    hannie | chapters like this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post, I love this natural beauty tips! If you're interested, you can also try castor oil. I tried it on my eyebrows to try to grow them back a little bit and it works really great! I read it does its job on hair, too. Anyway, I never thought of using coconut oil on my hair, but I think I will give it a try!

    Ellie from indiellie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea you could use it on brows, that's such a good tip! It's definitely worth writing a blog post on that one! It's good because it smells do nice too rather than putting mayo on or whatever! xx

      Delete
  3. Oh my god I cannot even tell you how excited I am to try this! I've heard so much about Coconut Oil but never really found how to use it. I'm addicted to the Lee Stafford Hair Growth Mask but at £8ish a pop, I think I'm going to switch to this! x

    www.shannonstacey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the Lee stafford hair growth for ages and then realised that my hair was breaking off at the ends so I was paying so much money for it to break off! Coconut oil works so well, I've seen such an improvement! xx

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this post!
cottonandcandie x