Sunday, 10 August 2014

Duty Free splurge: Mac Relentlessly Red


As I mentioned in my last post, I'm in the beautiful Greek island of Crete. But before I'd even set foot on the plane I was brutally caught by the dangerous criminal that is Duty free. Did I say caught? *Gleefully skipped into Duty free sniffing my way to the Mac counter. 


I first tried on Lady Danger, a matte lipstick in an orange toned red. Don't get me wrong it's a great colour and I will definitely be getting it in future, but I have hundreds and hundreds of reds and wanted to get something a little different. Please excuse cheesy trying on sunglasses I could never afford photo. 
So I asked the Mac girls for help. They recommended I tried Relentlessy Red. Which yes, sounds like I haven't actually gone for a different colour at all but the name does it no justice. 







Relentlessy Red is another matte lipstick but don't presume that matte makes this shade dull, it's a real pinky red which really packs a punch. Perfect for brightening up an all black outfit. 
At first glance at the actual lipstick it looks like the ultimate Barbie pink. I shudder at the thought of ever wearing that kind of pink. I was a real tomboy when I was younger and still am at heart, and some things I simply cannot wear and that colour is one of them. I took more than one photo of my lips because the colour almost changes with every look, sometimes it looks more red than pink and vice versa. 


Relentlessy Red also goes perfectly with Mac's lip liner in Dynamo. I'm not usually a lip liner kind of girl, I'm more of a choose a lipstick from my bag and apply it as I'm walking to a lecture kind of girl. (I have no concept of time so I keep around six different lipsticks in my bag for this very reason). But Mac deserves to be treated like a real lady. Also, as it is a matte the finish can look quite feathered and almost messy without a lip liner, so this just sharpen the edge to make it more defined. 

The only problem with this lipstick for me is that as I have very dry lips naturally, the matte style can accentuate this and make your lips look chapped. This really sucks for me because I'm a proper matte girl. However, Mac also do a range of lipsticks in a Satin finish which is half matte, so you get all of the benefits of a matte lipstick but it goes on a lot smoother. One of these babies is definitely on my wish list. 

What's your favourite shade of Mac lipstick?

cottonandcandie x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this post!
cottonandcandie x